Monday, January 19, 2009

Breathing

Fixed up the air intake yesterday. Took me more than an hour. Well, the actual install actually took at most 30 minutes, even for a layman like me. The reason why I went overtime was because I couldn't figure out how the heck did everyone fit the filter so nicely. Look at mine.



The filter element is a little to the left than it should be. Its not lined up with the intake hole in the bumper at all. Its kinda hard to twist the flexitube onto the mouth of the filter element. I took everything out twice, but no go. End result still looks the same. And I was sure I wasn't missing out any important steps. And the weird thing is, if you look at the spacing of the tubing leading towards the intake, it sure seems like it was meant to be in that direction. There doesn't seem to be enough wiggle space to "shift" the intake to the right.



The fitting of the silicon tubing to the MAF sensor adaptor doesn't look fantastic too. If you look closely, there is a slight gap, even though I've fastened everything tightly. But then again, it could be me doing a shoddy job. ~shrugs~

I refitted the intake again after taking these pictures, so now the filter element is a little bit closer to the intake, though not by much.

Initial impressions on driving; throttle response did seem a little bit better, though it could be a placebo effect for all I know. I've only driven about 100km or so on the new intake so I'll see how it goes once the ECU gets used to the intake. As for the sound level, I was surprised by how quiet the intake is, I was expecting something similar to the suction sound from the Apex'i cone, since the K&N element basically looks like a smaller version of the Apex'i. There isn't much induction noise from the intake, in fact, you've got to concentrate to hear the sound the intake is making, which is a good thing in my book.

No comments:

I'm on Facebook!